[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Leap Second on Windows XP

Arnold arnold at hacktic.nl
Mon Jan 2 11:41:47 UTC 2006

On 02-01-06 10:29, Maarten Wiltink wrote:
> "Jerry Baker" <jerry at novalid.invalid> wrote in message
> news:jh%tf.3767$aB1.462 at trnddc02...
>>Others have reported large drift values. My driftfile has been steady
>>around -70 for over a year, but as soon as the leap second approached,
>>my values pegged at 500. They have been bouncing around since and today
>>have climbed to -59 and still climbing slowly. See
>>http://jerbaker.dhs.org/ntp/
>
> As soon as it approached? I could understand wild hopping and bouncing
> just after. That is in fact what I saw, and many others too.
> Next time, I'll probably not wait for the confusion to start, and
> turn off clock adjustment and coast preemptively.

My strategy that resulted in a smooth leap insertion:
- 31 Dec I checked the servers I used if they had the leap bits set in
their responses;
- I used 5 with the leap bits set, and I kept two servers without the
bits (yes, one is an xs4all time server;-)
- right after the leap 5 servers agreed (more or less), and my time
continued stable.

Arnold &:-)