[ntp:questions] Re: Drift handling....

Roman Mäder newsXXF.10.rmaeder at spamgourmet.com
Mon Jan 2 15:37:00 UTC 2006

it always surprised me how eagerly ntpd throws away the valuable drift
estimate accumulated in the event of a sudden change in offset (even if
there is an offset when it starts up). I can think of many reasons for a
sudden change in offset, but nothing short of touching the crystal with a
soldering iron should yank the frequency by values in excess of 500pps.
Ther result are several time resets until things stabilize again, as we all
know.

Maybe a better strategy in the event of a significant sudden change in
offset would be to behave in the same way it would with no drift file
present: correct the offset, make a quick estimate of the frequency and go
about your normal business.

Roman Maeder