[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Leap Second on Windows XP

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Jan 2 19:42:47 UTC 2006

Eugen COCA wrote:
> As I understood, leap seconds means the time is adjusted instantly with
> one second. This has nothing to do with the drift file! Please see my
>
> As I observed until today, no Windows system changed the time correctly
> at 23:59:60UTC. Am I wrong?

The ntpd version ntp-4.2.0b at 1.1436mbg-xmas-o-win32 which we have published
only a few days before the leap second event should have handled the leap
second gracefully under the condition that its upstream servers also
behaved well. I'll put a log taken from one of our machines online tomorrow
when I'm back in the office.

This version of ntpd is the only one I'm aware of which is capable of
slewing the Windows system time quickly without interfering with the NTP
loop filters.

Those who watch these newsgroup know that we couldn't publish that version
earlier due to stability problems of the Windows version of ntpd. One of
this problems has been solved, but there's still another one around which
has to be determined and fixed.

Eugen, I know that version of ntpd doesn't work on your server and I'm
really sorry for this. I wish we would have had more time to find the
problem and make a version available which is stable on all systems.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren