[ntp:questions] Re: NTP Leap Second on Windows XP

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Jan 2 20:01:56 UTC 2006

David,

David J Taylor wrote:
> I believe that two of my Windows systems (those running Martin Burnicki's
> code) did insert the leap second correctly, see:
>
>   http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/ntp/ntp-events.htm
>
> but that confusion caused by different responses from various Internet
> servers caused more problems.

You have observed that even the servers which run our "xmas edition" of ntpd
had offsets which exceeds the normal range.

I'm assuming those offsets are due to the strong drift of some upstream
servers. If the value in the drift file is abnormlly high then the system
time of those servers is also drifting abnormally.

If there were several upstream servers which behaved this way, with randomly
more or less high drift, then obviously a client had difficulties to follow
up, even if no leap second had been around.

If you have a look at the event logs of the servers running the xmas
edition, are there any entries which might be related to this? I mean ntpd
synching first to one upstream server, then to a different one, etc.
("clock hopping"). Please let me know.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki