[ntp:questions] Re: Drift handling....

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Mon Jan 2 20:49:22 UTC 2006

Roman, and others,

You should tae a closer look at the code in ntp_loopfilter.c. It throws
nothing away. The main tool for adaptation to unstable clock oscillators
is to vary the time constant according to measured stability. You will
note the response to observed frequency transients is to reduce the poll
  interval and increase it when the transient subsides.

every clock update, not once per hour. Doing this once per day
corresponds to an update interval of that magnitude, which is readily
possible if you force minpoll to something large, as is done for the
modem driver. The frequency file is written once per hour, but has no
effect until the daemon is restarted.

I have learned over the years that a nonlinear response other than
slowly varying the time constant, is not a good idea. There are limit
checks which are necessary for reliable performance assertions, but
nothing else. Finally, the frequency management has nothing to do with
the leap second per se.

While all of the machines here took the leap in stride as expected, I am
concerned about the varying reports posted here. So, I have been
hammering away at various tests and have exposed what probably is a bug.
If so, it has been around for a very long time and requires a most
unlikely course of events. However, the effect would be as reported.
Fixing it requires some subtle code realignment that make take a few days.