[ntp:questions] Re: Drift handling....

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.isc.org
Tue Jan 3 06:09:29 UTC 2006

OK, listen to me now and believe me later.

Dave said it better when he said the drift value is updated at every clock
update.  We only write the value once an hour.

If you really want to play with this stuff, code it up in C in the actual
codebase and run it thru the simulator (which is part of the distribution).

A surprising number of folks have thought they had a good idea on how to
"make it better" and then got a rude awakening from the simulator.

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Check out ntp_loopfilter.c and look for drift_comp.

Sorry, but I don't do C except under duress.
I want to talk strategy, not plough through code.

David