[ntp:questions] Re: Drift handling....

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Wed Jan 4 12:34:44 UTC 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
> I've been told that one of the key reasons that digital watches
> work so well is that they run in a nice temperature controlled

I have read the same stories.

> environment.  If you take them off at night and leave them on
> your unheated bedside stand for severa hours they don't work as well.
>
> (I haven't done the experiment to back that up.)

I have:

I almost always take off my watch (a Polar S610) at night, leaving it on
the bedside table. This means that it should see a regular drop in
temperature, from ~30C during daytime, to 18-22C at night.

It really doesn't seem to matter though, at least not for this
particular watch, it has always kept time very well, drifting on the
order of a second in a few weeks, and always in the same direction
(slightly fast).

This seems to be more or less independent of ambient room temperature as
well, so at least for this particular watch, the crystal is very
well-behaved.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>