[ntp:questions] Re: What went wrong with the leap second

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Jan 4 16:59:45 UTC 2006

Richard,

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Rob van der Putten wrote:
>>The only way that one can avoid these problemes is probably to use ones
>>own GPS receiver instead of somebody elses NTPD.
>>
> Don't count on it!  The Motorola Oncore driver in nptd 4.2.0 failed to
> handle the leap second correctly.  There was a bug logged in Bugzilla
> and a patch was available but if there was an announcement, I missed it.
>
> It looks as if about half the world fumbled the leap second somehow!

We at Meinberg have tested our GPS and DCF77 receivers and our NTP servers
before the leap second, and we have published the results before on our
leap second info page:
http://www.meinberg.de/english/info/leap-second.htm

After the leap second I've just added the results from what I've recorded,
at the bottom of that page.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki