[ntp:questions] Re: New NTP version for Windows with GUI setup available

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Wed Jan 4 17:08:24 UTC 2006

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> David,
>
> David J Taylor wrote:
>> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> []
>>> There are still some pieces of code in the NTP package where this
>>> extra handling for Windows has not yet been implemented and thus
>>> needs some cleanup.
>>>
>>> Martin
>>

>> Just a small point, but it would be nice if ntpd used the event
>> number ID on Windows as well.  At the moment, all events have an
>> event ID of 3, whereas there could be different numbers for (say)
>> startup, shutdown, time resets, change of sync source,
>> initialisation messages etc.  The Windows event viewer allows you to
>> filter by event ID.
>
> You're right, that would be a good idea for the Windows version.
>
> However, this would require an additional bunch of changes since
> every log message had to be assigned a number, and the whole logging
> stuff which is used under a bunch of operating systems had to be
> modified or rewritten.
>
> Remember, most of the core developers are Unix people ;-))
>
> Martin

OK, Martin, but Danny has already said that he has two different logging
modules for network and non-network errors, so that would be a start,
providing two numbers.  I had rather assumed that UNIX might have
supported event IDs as well (I'm sure VMS did!).  Add a third category for
Windows-specific events, and we've got three different event IDs without a
lot of effort.

Might be a good start - I don't think /every/ event needs a different ID
(although it might be nice).

Cheers,
David