[ntp:questions] Re: Drift handling....

Karel Sandler sandler at ujf.cas.cz
Thu Jan 5 01:25:49 UTC 2006

Arnold wrote:

> So, the longer your measurements last, the more accurate your
> determination of the average drift will be. Many ntp-servers run for a
> long time, so it is possible to have a very accurate average.

No doubt, the statistical analysis of the logs can provide very accurate
drift value even with dependency on temperature, crystal age and so on.

> c) don't adjust your drift at all, but assume that a 'glitch' caused the
> additional offset; correct for the additional offset, and continue with
> the same drift value (or adjust it a very little bit);

I think, the first principle about a synchronized ntpd is don't put in the
hands of the clock. In consequence, some "intentional" and small as possible
drift change is the only instrument how to repair the phase.

Karel Sandler