[ntp:questions] Re: NTP and DCF77 leap logs

Serge Bets serge.bets at NOSPAM.laposte.invalid
Thu Jan 5 18:59:51 UTC 2006

 On Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 15:53:46 +0000, David L. Mills wrote:

> the only acceptable behavior is either to obey the leap as designed or
> to ignore the leap and coast for 17 minutes one second off the sources
> and then step to the correct offset. The frequency should not be
> affected.

With all due respect, I'll formulate the following opinion: The coast
and step behaviour can't be placed in the acceptable category.

 - Gives wrong time on the machine.
 - Serves wrong time to downstream clients.
 - Does a step backward at some unpredictable moment.
 - Depends on sources leaping well or not.

Serge, frightened.