[ntp:questions] Re: New NTP version for Windows with GUI setupavailable

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 17:04:02 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

>Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
>

>>Danny Mayer wrote:

<snip>

>>>In my opinion, info. It's just telling you what it did. There's nothing
>>>wrong with that since it's the intended behavior.
>>>
>>>Danny
>>>

>>Doesn't the very fact that it found it necessary to reset the time
>>indicate some sort of a problem?    If everything were working as
>>designed ntpd should be tweaking the fine tuning knob instead of
>>wrenching the clock hands around.
>>

>Not in my opinion. You told ntpd to do whatever is necessary to keep the
>clock in synch and that's just what it's doing. You're suggesting
>different categories for different methods of changing the clock. I'm
>not sure why it would be any different.
>
>Danny

My point was that, in a properly working system, ntpd should not need to
"reset" the clock once it has been synchronized.  Let's look at reasons
why this might happen:
a.  ntpd selected a new server for synchronization.  The selected
server's time differed from the client's by more than the step threshold.
b.  the client's clock is drifting at a rate greater the 500 PPM limit
on slew rate.
c. the client has been unable to get time from a server for a long time,
a lapse in service sufficient to let the client's clock drift past the
step threshold.

I think that any of the above three reasons would merit a warning or an
error message.  Did I miss any possible causes that would rate only an
informational message?