[ntp:questions] Re: New NTP version for Windows with GUI setupavailable

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jan 7 01:36:57 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:

> My point was that, in a properly working system, ntpd should not need to
> "reset" the clock once it has been synchronized.  Let's look at reasons
> why this might happen:
> a.  ntpd selected a new server for synchronization.  The selected
> server's time differed from the client's by more than the step threshold.

Informational. The new server is neither right nor wrong, just a
different one and was different by a large enough amount.

> b.  the client's clock is drifting at a rate greater the 500 PPM limit
> on slew rate.

Perhaps a warning if ntpd is not able to keep the clock stable.

> c. the client has been unable to get time from a server for a long time,
> a lapse in service sufficient to let the client's clock drift past the
> step threshold.

Perhaps a warning since it's been unable to get a stable server to use
to discipline a clock.

> I think that any of the above three reasons would merit a warning or an
> error message.  Did I miss any possible causes that would rate only an
> informational message?

I'm not sure what the error types are currently.

Danny