[ntp:questions] Re: Time set backward

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Sat Jan 7 02:26:18 UTC 2006

In article <dpmsdo$7q7$1 at dewey.udel.edu>,
David L. Mills <mills at udel.edu> wrote:

>Thanks for the clarification. How do I discipline the frequency of the
>CLOCK_REALTIME clock?

Administrative operation outside the scope of the standard.  I'm
actually surprised even clock_settime() slipped through -- I can only
suppose that it was allowed because the committee felt it important to
define how timers were supposed to behave when the system clock was
changed.

The interface NTP uses, if sufficiently standardized across platforms,
could conceivably be standardized, but I doubt there would be much
interest in doing it as a part of the POSIX process.  (The deadline
for work items in the next revision of 1003.1 is Sunday, by the way.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman    | As the Constitution endures, persons in every
wollman at csail.mit.edu | generation can invoke its principles in their own