[ntp:questions] Re: Sure RPC DCF77 clock under Linux?

Hauke Lampe packbart at blagga.openchaos.org
Sat Jan 7 04:21:47 UTC 2006

Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> Could anybody give me some advice how to run the "Sure RPC" DCF77
> clock under Linux?

I have an old Sure serial DCF receiver (small grey box with a single red
LED) connected to my gateway computer and it works quite well.

> It looks like my hardware is functioning properly, but the telegrams
> appear to be shifted by one bit.

My main problem is interference. Watch the LED light. Does it show a
regular pattern of one blink every second, some shorter, some longer?

It was very difficult to find a location for the receiver. Sometimes it
would receive nothing and at other locations, it showed a very irregular
impulse pattern.

FWIW, here is the output of "stty -a -F /dev/refclock-0":

| speed 50 baud; rows 0; columns 0; line = 0;
| -parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal -crtscts
| -ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon
| -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
| -opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
| -isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
| -echoprt -echoctl -echoke

and the entry in ntp.conf:

| server  127.127.8.0 mode 16 prefer maxpoll 6

Hauke.