[ntp:questions] Re: Weather Channel NTP Admin?

Jed Clear clear at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 7 16:12:05 UTC 2006

Steve Kostecke wrote:

> On 2006-01-07, Jed Clear <clear at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have the contact information for the admin of
> > ntp1.twc.weather.com?
>
> I found the original Stratum 1 time server list in Google cache and the
> contact information listed there is only "Contact: NTP Administrator".
> So nothing was omitted when the lists migrated to the NTP Public Services
> Project.

I wonder if NTPAdministrator or NTP.Administrator is an e-mail alias.  I made an
attempt, probably futile, to get webmaster at weather.com to relay a message to
their NOC.  I may try one of the less relevant "contact us" choices on their web
site.  I suppose I could also try abuse@<their ISP>; surely running a public
stratum 1 out of sync qualifies as abuse.  I wonder if weather.com has a real
technical POC contact listed.

> > Also, the NTP Wiki Server entry for time.twc.weather.com has what
> > appears to be an old IP. "nslookup time.twc.weather.com" returns both
> > ntp1 and ntp2, but neither is the listed IP.
>
> I've corrected this list entry.

Thanks.  Alas this hints that no one at TWC is taking an active interest in
their NTP service.  And I thought everyone checked their NTP servers twice a
day.  What is the world coming to?

-Jed