[ntp:questions] Re: Can't get Windows/2000 Client to synchronize with my NTP server on CentOS 4.2

Mark Hansen meh at NOSPAMwinfirst.com
Sat Jan 14 16:24:44 UTC 2006

On 01/13/06 18:27, wa6zvp wrote:
> I suspect that you were running a different version of NTP on the linux
> box.

Yes, it was RedHat 7.3, which is about 3 years old, so the NTP had to
be pretty old as well (that machine was not kept up to date with RPM
updates...)

 >       While I can't remember the details, there was a change in how the
> 'notrust' keyword functioned.
> In 4.2, notrust means to require authentication.
>
> Try removing the 'notrust' in the restrict line for the local network
> and see what happens.

Thanks, that appears to be the issue here. I removed it and now the client
is getting a response like:

> Recv'ed from server  48 Bytes...
> Logging event 0x8000000C. 15 min until this event is allowed.
>
> 0x8000000C reported to System Log in Event Viewer
> NTP: Server never sync'd or not within last 24 hours

So that looks much, much better (I expect that this means it's now
working, although I'll have to wait a bit before the time service
can actually sync, it eventually will).

>    Roger
>
> roger(at)hmc(dot)edu

Thanks very much for the help. Now, on to getting authentication
working ;-)