[ntp:questions] Re: List of time synchronization hardware and software

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Jan 18 08:24:42 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Where can I get the leap second file by ftp?  I've looked on the NIST
> web site and failed to find it.   They display the leap second
> information but I don't see a link to where it's available for
> download.  Getting it by autokey is not an option; I'm behind a NAT
> firewall/router.

The file is available at
ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/

Filename: leap-seconds.nnnnnnnnnn
where nnnnnnnnnn is a kind of "serial number" derived from a time stamp.

The current name of the file is: leap-seconds.3331497600

This file must be copied to the crypto directory configured for ntpd, and
inside that directory a link must created which points to that file. The
standard name for the link is ntpkey_leap, however, this can be overridden
by a configuration parameter.

So currently it should look like this:
ntpkey_leap -> leap-seconds.3331497600

Martin