[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for time sync hardware supported under Linux for under $400?

Mark Hansen meh at NOSPAMwinfirst.com
Wed Jan 18 15:21:25 UTC 2006

On 01/17/2006 05:49 PM, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Mark Hansen wrote:

>>> Garmin GPS-18LVC
>>>

>> Thanks. Can I please ask a couple other questions about this?
>>
>> The documentation for it says that the serial interface is TTL levels
>> (which are 0-5v, if I understand correctly), rather than what would be
>> expected by a PC serial port (which are 0-15v, again IIUC).
>>
>> Can this just be connected to the PC serial port, or will I have
>> to build/buy a TTL -> RS-232 converter/adapter?
>>
>> I looked through the 'Comprehensive list of clock drivers' supplied with
>> the NTP software, and didn't see this device mentioned. Is it know by
>> another name to the NTP software?
>>
>> Thanks again!
>
> You will need to shift the levels;  RS232 uses both positive and
> negative voltages for signaling.  I believe that there is a chip that
> will convert TTL to RS232 levels.  I vaguely recall a number like MC1447
> but that's just a vague recollection; get the facts before you spend
> your money!  You will, of course, need both positive and negative supply
> voltages; I think +/- 12VDC will get the job done and you might even get
> away with +/- 5VDC.
>
> The Garmin  GPS-18LVC uses the NMEA driver.

Thanks. I found that Garmin sells a PC version of this receiver, which
is made to plug into the serial port, so no adapters/converters are
necessary. Here's a link to someone that sells it:

   <http://www.starlite-intl.com/Detail.asp?pid=1233&Key=>