[ntp:questions] Re: Frequent time reset messages

Bob Robison bob.robison at swri.org
Fri Jan 20 13:30:29 UTC 2006

Ulrich,

  Thanks for the input.  It turns out that something was 'broken' in that there was another task running that was logging in to the system periodically and setting the time.  This had been put in place earlier by someone with a different approach to fix the problem --- and I hadn't caught it until later.  So in the end, I got everything working as expected (I think).

thanks,
bob

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:59:59 +0100
Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl at RZ.Uni-Regensburg.DE> wrote:

> Bob, the system clock may be broken for SMP, or your hardware may be
> broken. Maybe also, your sofware config (speed-step technology, ACPI
> throttling, power now, etc) is incompatible with NTP.
>
> If you want to experiment, there's a set of patches by John Stultz
> (IBM I think) for Linux 2.6 that implement a completely new system
> clock. (experimental status right now)
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich
>

> bob.robison at swri.org (Bob Robison) writes:
>
> > I'm running a moderate number (around 50) dual-opterons that are
> > diskless booting a Linux 2.6.12 smp kernel and trying to synch with
> > a Symmetricon XLI-GPS stratum-1 NTP server on an isolated network.
> >
> > The problem I have is that when I run "ntpq -c peers" on a number of
> > these machines to check the status of the ntp synchronization, I see
> > offsets ranging over almost 1000 msecs.  If I grep through
> > the /var/log/ messages file, I see that there are often messages
> > around every 20 minutes like this:
> >
> > Dec  1 20:30:28 (none) ntpd[27203]: time reset 0.613771 s
> > Dec  1 20:30:28 (none) ntpd[27203]: synchronisation lost
> > Dec  1 20:50:45 (none) ntpd[27203]: time reset 0.931388 s
> > Dec  1 20:50:45 (none) ntpd[27203]: synchronisation lost
[...]