[ntp:questions] Re: SUSE OSS 10 NTPD Clock Drift

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Fri Jan 20 14:58:44 UTC 2006

Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
[]
> My words were based on what I've read here.  I do not run ntpd on
> Windoze.   Based on about twelve years as a Windoze user from 3.1 to
> XP, I think it's fair to say that Windoze is badly written.  It has
> gotten better over the years but it's still far from what I'd call
> reliable, well designed, or well executed.  My Unix and VMS systems
> stay up as long as the power stays on (I've had a VMS system with
> over two years of continuous up time); my Windows systems have to
> rebooted after a week to ten days of use (it used to be daily, or
> more)!

My own experience is that properly configured Windows systems run reliably
24 x 7.  By properly configured, I mean with adequate resources for the
tasks the systems have to perform - my NT4 system has only 64MB of memory
and uses about 48MB.  The only time I need to reboot these days is for any
security patches on the Internet-facing systems.  Obviously, I exclude the
16-bit based versions (Win 3.X, 95, 98 ME etc.).  At the moment, my NT4
system has been up 134 days, my Windows 2000 systems 7 and 11 days
(following a security update in one case, and a RAMdisk reconfiguration in
another, and my XP system 6 days, also following a security update.  All
are now excellent timekeepers.  Prior to the RAMdisk reconfiguration, the
Windows 2000 system had been running for months, and its previous reboot
(and the NT4 system) were due to a power glitch.

I have also run VMS and UNIX in the past, and would rate VMS as better
than both UNIX and Windows.  However, my direct experience with
non-Windows systems (other than Linux) ended about five years ago.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Windows.

David