[ntp:questions] Re: Looking for time sync hardware supported under Linux for under $400?

jkline john at johnkline.com
Sat Jan 21 00:36:42 UTC 2006

Hi Steve,

Thanks to you (and Terje) for this information.  I have ordered a
Garmin GPS-18 LVC.

I also want to order a Soekris Net4801, but I'd like some more
information about your configuration.

I am going to order the following from Soekris:

10480161 net4801-60 Board and Case
31321215 Power Supply, 12V, 1.5A, US/Canada

Excactly what configuration are you running?  Hard drive?  If so, which
one?  Compact Flash?  If so, which one?  Is there a max size CF
supported (that I should not exceed)?  Boot from CF?  What version of
Free BSD?  What steps did you follow to build the OS?  Would you be
willing to share your image?  What, if anything, are you using for a
console?  This information and/or any other specifics would be much
appreciated.

There is a FreeBSD 6 256MB image available here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/nanobsd-soekris/

made with these configuration files:
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/nanobsd-soekris/SOEKRIS6
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/nanobsd-soekris/nanobsd-soekris.conf

I do not know if this configuration file turns off anything needed for
supporting NTP/PPS.  Do you know what I should be looking for?

I'm trying to avoid converting my Linux server to a FreeBSD server and
then using it to build a version of FreeBSD for the net4801; but I'll
do it if I have to.  I plan on dumping the Linux server once the
net4801 is up and running.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide,
John