[ntp:questions] Re: SUSE OSS 10 NTPD Clock Drift

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Sat Jan 21 02:54:44 UTC 2006

On 2006-01-20, garskof <garskof at gmail.com> wrote:

> The system is a old Dell Precision 420 Dual Pentium III 750Mhz. It is
> SCUZY drives and a gig of memory. It is just an old box that a poor old
> J2EE Developer like myself uses for my own local testing, so it is not
> under much of a load at all. I had run Windoze on it for a while, and
> then Red Hat, but I reciently moved it to SUSE OSS 10. It is kernal
> 2.6.13-15-smp.

ISTR that SMP may sometimes be an issue.

> I would prefer to have NTP be more "agressive" [?] about pushing the
> clock, if there was a way to do that. If not I guess I will go the cron
> route.

One problem with adjusting your clock via a cron job is that your clock
_will_ drift between settings.

As has been suggested elsewhere in this thread, it's worth trying to
adjust your tick (assuming the your offset always increases in the same
direction), so that you can use ntpd.