[ntp:questions] Re: This is tougher than I thought?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Sun Jan 22 11:49:44 UTC 2006

Axonn wrote:
> Hi again David, thanks for your time.
>
> I work in various programming languages... this particular program I'm
> working on is largely in C++ but has a Visual Basic side too and some
> other flavors as well. As far as I can "smell" your code looks like my
> first programming language, Pascal, that is now Delphi. I am a bit
> ashamed to confess that I don't know that much about packets. Even
> though about 3 years ago I programmed an IRC bot in Delphi, that was
> using built in Delphi socket support and I am not so familiar with the
> packet term. I know what it is, how it works but this ain't enough. As
> far as I see in your code, it's pretty clear that your packet has a
> certain size... but... packets need an IP and other info which gets
> filled by whom? Sorry, really, I know that I shouldn't bother people
> here with this, I am too much of a newbie in some areas. I've been
> into programming only 8 years now out of which only the past 3 were
> more intensive.
>
> As for my program... well... it works on NT 4 but I haven't tested it
> yet. It uses some features like layered windows which are only
> available on NT 5 and greater. So before saying that it works on NT 4
> and 9x I gotta first install it there and make sure all code that
> refers to NT 5 features is separated properly and doesn't crash. When
> complete it will work on any Windows from 95 (included) above. Right
> now I'm working to fix a few gremlins that have been pesting me since
> yesterday at the functionality which replaces the systray clock with
> my clock. This weekend sure is full of work... which I'm gonna go
> back to right now...

Axonn,

Thanks for your comments on the software.  I am interested to know what
features peope now use which require Windows 2000 or later, and I can see
what you need.  I now rate my own software for Windows 2000 and XP, as
some features won't work on FAT32 file systems (limit of number of files
per folder), and Win 9X is not stable enought for reliable 24 x 7
operation.

Coming back to enquiring of an NTP server, my own software uses the
TBasicClientSocket from dWinsock which handles all the IP stuff.  You just
tell it port 123, UDP, send the packet , and handle the OnRead event for
the return packet.  Very simple, really.  Yes, it's Borland's Delphi.
Perhaps my use of the term packet is confusing - I simply mean a chunk of
data which you feed to the socket's "Send" mthod (or whatever it's
called).

Entering "visual basic ntp component" into Google produces quite a lot of
hits!

Cheers,
David