[ntp:questions] Re: Server insane for 2 days now

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Mon Jan 23 10:03:02 UTC 2006

Johnson Luqaz wrote:
> Dear Sirs, I have upgraded from ntp-4.2.0a at 1.1370-o-win32-setup.exe to
> ntp-4.2.0b at 1.1436mbg-xmas-o-win32-setup.exe.  Since all the clients
> connecting to this NTP server is reporting "Server insane".
>
> I am an amateur running trying out this software.  Will appreciate any
> assistance.
>
> thanks.

Well, I'm only an amateur as well (regarding NTP), but I run that version
on all my PCs without problem.

If you run the command:  ntpq -p  on your server, what do you see?  This
is usually my first step to see if the server has some upstream
connection, and how good those connections are.  One remote should be
shown as selected (a "*" in the first column), and all servers should have
a reach of 377 (if ntp has been running for a while).

One obvious suggestion: did you tell your firewall software about the
changed ntpd.exe?  If not, it may be refusing to allow ntpd.exe to connect
to the Internet.

David