[ntp:questions] Re: This is tougher than I thought?

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Mon Jan 23 19:55:05 UTC 2006

"Axonn" <axonnus at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1137839298.170001.151320 at g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> [...] I'm currently working at developing a replacement for the
> Windows OS Systray clock. ... I didn't yet start on NTP time
> synchronization.

For an interactive program, you don't need any interaction with the
NTP service; you just read the OS clock and display its time. If NTP
is running in the background, the OS clock will tell that much better
time.

NTP the protocol might come in useful if you were trying to display
the time on another computer. If that computer is running its own NTP
daemon, it will answer NTP requests with its own idea of time. Your
clock could display that time instead of its local OS's time. Not that
it would serve much purpose. If NTP is running on both machines, their
clocks should not have an interactively noticeable time difference.

Groetjes,
Maarten Wiltink