[ntp:questions] Re: Linux 2.6 + ntpd + noapic + insanity.

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 12:29:54 UTC 2006

Harlan Stenn wrote:

>Omri,
>
>What do you think "restrict default nomodify" means?
>
>Your "server" line is also covered by that restriction.
>
>Have you seen http://ntp.isc.org/Support/AccessRestrictions ?

nomodify -- "Do not allow this host/subnet to modify the ntpd settings
even if they have the correct keys." By default ntpd requires
authentication with symmetric keys for modifications made with ntpdc. So
if you don't configure symmetric keys for your ntpd, or keep them
properly safeguarded, you don't need to use 'nomodify' unless you are
concerned that the NTP authentication scheme might be compromised.

So what was your point Harlan?  I can't see that he needs it but
Nomodifiy should not interfere with synchronization!