[ntp:questions] Re: Errors with NMEA refclock

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Sat Jan 28 18:26:57 UTC 2006

stuff at pender.dnsalias.net wrote:
> check your baudrate, as far as I can tell only 4800 is supported with
> the default driver (I'd certainly appreciate someone telling me
> otherwise though, looks like I need to hack the driver and then get it
> recompiled for XP :-/
>
>                                     ... Niall

Thanks, Niall.

It's not baud rate as the driver works for some of the time!  On the XP
Pro system, ntpd will sync to the GPS, while still delivering the fault
messages to the event log.  The GPS also works with other software where
the baud rate can be set explicitly, including some diagnostic software I
wrote myself.  On the Windows 2000 system, hyperterm sees the $GPRMC
sentences correctly when the baud rate is set to 4800 and ntpd is
disabled.

It would be helpful to be able to define both the baud rate and the COM
port number in the configuration file.  Flag1 and flag4 appear to be spare
with this driver.

David