[ntp:questions] PPS working or not? FreeBSD 5.4

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid
Sun Jan 29 17:08:01 UTC 2006

I just spent an interesting few hours setting up a FreeBSD 5.4 system from
scratch, and interfacing it to a Garmin GPS 18 LVC.  Well, there was a lot
of help in the Web, and it must be 10 or more years since I messed with
UNIX.

I'm getting what seem to be sensible results, but the jitter from the GPS
seems to be higher than some of the Internet servers (3ms versus 1ms), so
I'm wondering if the PPS signal on the DCD line is being used at all.
I've set flag3 = 1 in the fudge command.

Any suggestions?  I'm really new to FreeBSD so I might have missed the
glaringly obvious!

Thanks,
David