[ntp:questions] broadcast weirdness

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Sun Jan 29 22:28:12 UTC 2006

John Pettitt wrote:

> I'm switching my local lan to a broadcast setup.
>
> It seem to be working with "broadcast 192.168.2.255 key 1" in the
> server config and "broadcastclient <ip of client> key 1" in the
> client config.

That's an invalid option. The only valid option to broadcastclient is
novolley. It would, in any case make no sense to include the ip of the
client in the client's config file since it knows its own address. If
you are using keys on the broadcast server you also will need to set up
those keys on the broadcast client.

  However I'm not seeing any outbound packets from the
> client - I thought that if I didn't specify "novolley" it would sent
> some packets to determine the RTT and then go back to listen only
> mode (that's what the doc says) - this doesn't seem to be happening.

If you disabled authentication then it won't send packets, just receive
them, IIRC. The client normally has to send packets to the server to
authenticate the key, but if it is not using authentication then it
won't need to send any packets to the server. Getting RTT is a nice
byproduct of authentication.

> It's not a big issue (we're talking gigabit lan latency here) but I
> never like having a config that does something I don't expect it to
> do ...

There has to be SOME latency.

Danny