[ntp:questions] Re: broadcast weirdness

John Pettitt jpp at cloudview.com
Sun Jan 29 22:55:59 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:
> John Pettitt wrote:
>>

>> I'm switching my local lan to a broadcast setup.
>>
>> It seem to be working with "broadcast 192.168.2.255 key 1" in the
>> server config and "broadcastclient <ip of client> key 1" in the
>> client config.
>
> That's an invalid option. The only valid option to broadcastclient is
> novolley. It would, in any case make no sense to include the ip of the
> client in the client's config file since it knows its own address. If
> you are using keys on the broadcast server you also will need to set up
> those keys on the broadcast client.

Good point - I'll go experiment.

Interesting

broadcastclient on it's own causes the client show a line in the ntpq output that had reach 000 and
INIT for the servers.

broadcastclient key 1 has the client work (reach goes up and it syncs) and it sends 1 packet to the
server but doesn't set the RTT (at least as ntpq displays it)

Either way it's not doing what the doc says ....

John