[ntp:questions] Re: PPS working or not? FreeBSD 5.4

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Jan 31 15:59:40 UTC 2006

Harlan,

With all due respect old chum, where have you been? I have been shrill
to the point of extreme nastyness on getting rid of per-driver PPS. I'm
sure I offended everybody with this agenda, especially on getting rid of
the per-OS PPS interface in favor of the PPSAPI.

The downside of the per-driver PPS is the absence of reliable mitigation
should something break in the radio or interface. The usual per-driver
behavior is to take the seconds from the timecode and fraction from the
PPS, possibly ignoring the timecode fraction, which could be and
sometimes in my experience is bogus.

Dave