[ntp:questions] Leap second hangover?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Sat Jul 1 06:53:04 UTC 2006

Two of my PCs have show a great NTP instability since 0000UTC this
morning, just like the events which happened on January 1st after the leap
second insertion.  Please see:

  http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/mrtg/daily_ntp.html

At 06:00 UTC I restarted the NTP servers on those systems (Bacchus and
Stamsund), rewriting the ntp.drift file with a known good value for the
PCs in question.

Unfortunately, I didn't note which servers (in addition to my own simple
stratum 1 server - Pixie) those PC were clients to, but you may want to
look out for this behaviour in your own systems.  The fact three PCs
showed no problem at all rules out (I hope) the client software I am using
(Meinberg Xmas build for Windows).

If there are any specific diagnostics I should run, please let me know.

David