[ntp:questions] Re: Leap second hangover?

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jul 1 14:57:56 UTC 2006

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes:

>On both problem PCs, at 01:00 a positive leap second is inserted.  Arrgh!

Interesting stuff - after the last leapsecond there were stuff
public time servers advertising a pending leapsecond 12 hours later.
Evidently there were some still advertising it a whole 6 months
later!

>All my systems are using the server ntp2c.mcc.ac.uk, so I presume that is
>not is sending out the spurious message.  How can I find out if a server
>is sending out a leap-second required message?  I can only assume
>something in the UK pool of servers was incorrectly sending the
>leap-second message, and may still be.

You can see the leap bits by doing something like:

	ntpq -c rv localhost

(replace localhost with the name of the host you want to query)
and look for the "leap=" value. It should be "00" at the moment.
I used this to produce the graph at:

	http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwmalone/time/leap2005.html#ntpleapflag

It would be interesting to survey the pool servers and see which
are advertising a leap second.

	David.