[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd Frequency (drift) Jumps

Charles Elliott elliott.ct at verizon.net
Sun Jul 2 15:53:42 UTC 2006

No, this motherboard does not seem to have any spread-spectrum functions; I
looked thru the BIOS
setup screen and in the manual.  AFIK power-saving is disabled.  I do run
Seti at Home on both CPUs, which can make the system seem sluggish at times.
Also hyperthreading is enabled so
it appears as 2 CPUs.  I was looking thru the ntpd code and in at least one
place they claim to
have made a fix that will work on single processor systems, but might not
work on multiprocessor
systems.  I am considering moving it over to a Server 2003 single-cpu AMD 64
machine to see if
the same problem appears.

The problem always seems to happen when the time offset is very small (< 5
ms) and is about to change sign.  I wrote a Java routine to call ntpq every
5 seconds and I have been watching it for the last half hour.  The offset
just did change from -0.979 ms to 2.711 ms with no untoward result.

It always happens late in the evening or in the very early morning.  Verizon
is making changes to its DSL system, and so there have been some outages and
slow downs at these times.  Also the 50 to 100 and one 500 PPM frequency
jumps are always accompanid by a large time adjustment (on the order of .180
seconds).

Do you have any more ideas?

CHE