[ntp:questions] Re: Reference clocks questions

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 3 12:46:26 UTC 2006

Julien wrote:

> Jonathan Buzzard a écrit :
>

>>On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:12:29 -0700, Julien wrote:
>>
>>[SNIP]
>>
>>>2/ can you advise me some middle-range clocks (several hundred euros
>>>max.) working on Linux, as well as pros and cons regarding the
>>>technology (GPS, radio...) ?
>>>

>>You don't say where you are in the world. However the NNTP posting IP
>>address suggests France, and you mention Euros.
>

> You're right, I'm in France, but the servers might be everywhere in the
> world, that's why I can't use a radio receiver as a "general" solution,
> and I'm rather looking at GPS receivers.

The Garmin GPS18LVC is available for something like $85 US.  An Oncore
M12 timing receiver with evaluation circuit board, is available from
http://www.synergy-gps.com/ for around $200 US.  The Oncore used to be
made by Motorola; they discontinued it and it is now made by another
manufacturer.  I have an Oncore and have found that it works very well.
More expensive receivers are available with metal cases, switches,
blinking lights etc.  They may be worth the extra cost; the evaluation
board I bought doesn't even have holes that would permit it to be
mounted in a box.

Just be certain that the receivers you buy are designed for timing
service rather than navigation and have a Pulse per Second (PPS) output.