[ntp:questions] Re: local reference clock

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 3 20:41:14 UTC 2006

In article <lPqdnc5nooDhzzTZnZ2dnUVZ_oydnZ2d at comcast.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
> gandalf100 at gmail.com wrote:

> > I put these lines in the ntp.conf (xntpd)

xntpd is obsolete, except for one platform, where the vendor insists on
confusing everyone else by using the old name, claiming it confuses their
users less.  If this really is xntpd, it might explain why it actually
displays results for the bad clock driver code.

> server 127.127.0.1
> fudge 127.127.0.1 stratum 10
>

> What result did you expect???

I imagine he expects time since last poll to be present and less than 64,
reachability to be 377, the last figure to be pretty small, and the machine
to serve its, almost certainly, bogus idea of the time to NTP clients.

> NTP was designed to synchronize computer clocks to Universal Time
> Coordinated (UTC).  It does that very well if you configure at least one
>   source of time.  It would appear that you did not do so.

Whilst I'd agree that this is an abuse of NTP, it is a very common abuse,
and might even be more common than proper use, because it can do more
or less what its users expect it to do.

There are legitimate uses as well, if the clock is being disciplined by
code outside of NTP, but, statistically, that is unlikely to be the case
here.