[ntp:questions] Re: min g option in ntp.conf

Frans Grotepass fmgrotepass at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 12:27:46 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 14:05, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
> Frans Grotepass wrote:
> > Is it possible to change the ntp.conf to include similar functionality to
> > the -g option?
>
> It's almost certainly possible!

That is what I thought

> Why do you believe that doing so would
> be a wise use of scarce resources?

I don't understand your question. The -g option will make the clock skip to
the server time if it is off by a large amount. We build embedded systems
that are shipped around the world. They include an ntp client that will
synchronize with a server. If the internal clock is way off, NTP simply dies
if -g is not used. With -g the startup does one jump and from there,
continues with clockskew. How does this hamper my resources?

Best regards,