[ntp:questions] NMEA and PPS

DJ drnj at freemail.redherring.co.uk
Tue Jul 4 21:17:55 UTC 2006

Hi
the rtfm is confusing on  the subject of NMEA and PPS. I have an
external RS-232 GPS rx with NMEA output feeding /dev/gps0 and
127.127.20.0 in ntp.conf (on intel/linux platform). With the correct
use of fudge time1 I can get my ntpd to act as a stratum 0 server and
will track pool ntp servers to within 100ms drift . I wish to improve
the precision/accuracy and would like to use the PPS kernel/drivers. Is
this possible with a simple NMEA device i.e. does the PPS kernel patch
give a better stability or do I need a PPS gps clock ?