[ntp:questions] Re: ntptrace returns stratum 16, ntpq -p shows sync with stratum 2 server.

Maarten Wiltink maarten at kittensandcats.net
Thu Jul 6 20:23:57 UTC 2006

"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote in message
news:RImdnWFw1a-u-zDZnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d at comcast.com...
[...]
> I believe that burst is a special purpose hack with a few, very few,
> legitimate uses.  Unfortunately, the documentation fails to explain
> under what circumstances it might be legitimately used!

One set of circumstances was mentioned here once. It's possible for
ARP cache entries to sometimes expire between polls of a server on
the local network. In that case, some polls will and others will not
incur a delay while the MAC address is retrieved, increasing jitter.
Burst can alleviate that.

This is not a problem for most people.

> When in doubt, DON'T!!

Good advice.