[ntp:questions] ntpd not synchronizing - again :-(

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Fri Jul 7 16:52:16 UTC 2006

JCA wrote:
>   Can anybody explain why the OS clock is drifting so dramatically?
> Also, is it the case that it running in lockstep with the hardware
> clock? I thought that the OS clock and the hardware clock were two
> different things.
>
>  My ntpd configuration file is as follows:
>
> server  127.127.1.0     # local clock
> fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

Are you serving time to other systems? If not, it's not needed.

> server  192.168.0.1

You were querying this server, yet that's the address in here, so I'm
not sure what you were getting.

> driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
> multicastclient                 # listen on default 224.0.1.1

There is no default. The address is required. Do you have a multicast
server set up somewhere? Otherwise this  option has no meaning and since
you didn't disable authentication it will in any case ignore any
multicast packets that it does receive even if it were configured properly.

> broadcastdelay  0.008

On a LAN why would you put this in at all? This should not be here
unless you have a good measure of the propogation delay AND ntpd is not
doing its own calculation because it is not querying the multicast
server at all (it's part of what authentication would do for you).

Danny