[ntp:questions] Re: PPS Kit for kernel 2.6

Tue Jul 11 06:42:45 UTC 2006

"R Jenkins" <not at pub.lished> writes:

> "DJ" <drnj at freemail.redherring.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:1152047956.816183.283710 at b68g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> > Hi
> > Can anyone enlighten me on how to get a PPSKit for a 2.6 kernel ???
> >

> Look for the 'PPSkit-light-' patches. These can be applied to the matching
> 2.6.x kernel source tree to add PPS capability.

Please note the "-alpha" in the file name: This is just a kernel patch, and no
"PPSkit". It's incomplete and possibly buggy. There won't be a new release
within a month or so, unless someone finds the bugs, fixes them, and publishes
the fixes. Sorry to say.

> In my case I was using a 2.6.16.x kernel & could only find the 2.6.15.1
> patch, but it only took a few minutes to edit the rejects in by hand.
>
> There are also two include files that need copying - timex.h & timepps.h
> Without these NTP will compile but PPS does not work...
>
> Apparently the instructions for this are in the 2.4 PPSKit, but I did'nt see
> them anywhere with the -light patch..

Explanation above.

> Hope this is of use,
> Robert Jenkins.