[ntp:questions] Re: NTP 4.2.2p2 Released

Jan Ceuleers janspam.ceuleers at skynet.be
Wed Jul 12 16:28:55 UTC 2006

Harlan,

Harlan Stenn wrote:
> I'd love to have those things.
>
> At the moment, the ChangeLog is generated as part of the release process and
> is not checked in anywhere.
>
> Ideas on exactly how to do this and volunteers to help implement it are
> welcome.

The former (a separately-available changelog, linked to from the release
announcement) is what other software projects call release notes. The
ntpd project also has something called release notes (on Dave Mills'
website), but unfortunately this does not take the form of a log of
changes in functionality; rather it is a zero-based description of how
the 'current' release (without, BTW, explicitly identifying it) of V4
differs from V3.

So I guess that what I'm asking for is indeed something new, but
(assuming that the release notes are under version control) should be
able to be manually derived from the changelog of that document.

The latter however (advice from the project team as to the urgency of
deploying this release) is in fact a narrative on the compelling event
leading to the release. Whoever takes the decision to release would be
the source of this information.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Jan