[ntp:questions] Re: system boots with wrong time

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.isc.org
Thu Jul 13 11:38:26 UTC 2006

Martin Burnicki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sbalaji79 at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a tru64 machine which always boots with wrong time(time is
>> always in future ie. 2007 or above).   After booting, ntp starts and
>> syncs time properly with the server and time is back to normal. Once
>> i reboot problem appears again. Is this a problem with a TOY chip or do
>> we
>> need to explicity set the time to TOY chip.  I believe ntp calls
>> settimeofday
>> which syncs the time to TOY chip.   But i donot see any errors
>> in the log file with respect to TOY chip battery failure.
>
> I'm pretty sure the machine's hardware clock (RTC) has the wrong date. At
> boot time the operating system time is initialized with that time.
>
> I don't know tru64, but settimeofday must not necessarily set the machine's
> RTC. For example under linux there's a special command which writes the
> time of the software clock to the RTC. Sometimes this is called
> periodically every few minutes, and im most cases it is run when the system
> shuts down.
>
> You must check which command tru64 provides to do so.
>
> Martin

Agreed. VMS had this problem every year in January where if it hadn't
been booted for a very long time the date would be wrong on the next
boot. The date was not being written back in any reliable way so the
date ended up way off. I don't know if the Alphas suffered the same
problem, this was on VAXen.

Danny