[ntp:questions] Re: system boots with wrong time

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 13 13:12:16 UTC 2006

Danny Mayer wrote:

> Martin Burnicki wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>sbalaji79 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have a tru64 machine which always boots with wrong time(time is
>>>always in future ie. 2007 or above).   After booting, ntp starts and
>>>syncs time properly with the server and time is back to normal. Once
>>>i reboot problem appears again. Is this a problem with a TOY chip or do
>>>we
>>>need to explicity set the time to TOY chip.  I believe ntp calls
>>>settimeofday
<snip>
>>I don't know tru64, but settimeofday must not necessarily set the machine's
>>RTC. For example under linux there's a special command which writes the
>>time of the software clock to the RTC. Sometimes this is called
>>periodically every few minutes, and im most cases it is run when the system
>>shuts down.
>>
>>You must check which command tru64 provides to do so.
>>
>>Martin
>

> Agreed. VMS had this problem every year in January where if it hadn't
> been booted for a very long time the date would be wrong on the next
> boot. The date was not being written back in any reliable way so the
> date ended up way off. I don't know if the Alphas suffered the same
> problem, this was on VAXen.

The VAX and Alpha TOY clocks do not keep the year itself.  VMS stores
the current year on disk.  I believe that it was actually a part of the
executive image.  VMS updates this information every time a SET TIME is
done.  Don't know what Tru64 does; I had the admin course for it about
ten years ago and spent maybe a total of three days actually working
with it.

Since a lot of VMS engineers worked on Tru64, it's possible that the
solution is to set the time with the "date" command.