[ntp:questions] ntpdc 'sysinfo' output inconsistent with ntpq -p output

Tripathi, Anurag Anurag.Tripathi at symbol.com
Fri Jul 21 07:53:56 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'm running ntpd version 4.2 on my linux M/C, I'm synching my m/c to a
well known timer server 'clock.redhat.com' (without any authentication
configured).
After a while when I query the system with ntpq it shows synchronized,
while the ntpdc 'sysinfo' output still shows the system on stratum '16'
and system unsynched.

Isn't this contradictory?

What can I do to get the sysinfo output show the correct info?

Ntpq / ntpdc outputs are given below:

Linux#ntpq -p
jitter
====
*clock1.redhat.c .CDMA.     1  u   54   64    3  292.993    0.468
76.733

Linux#ntpdc> sysinfo
system peer:          clock1.redhat.com
system peer mode:     client
leap indicator:       11
stratum:              16
precision:            -20
root distance:        0.00000 s
root dispersion:      0.00433 s
reference ID:         [73.78.73.84]
reference time:       00000000.00000000  Thu, Feb  7 2036 11:58:16.000
system flags:         auth monitor ntp kernel stats
jitter:               0.083237 s
stability:            0.000 ppm
broadcastdelay:       0.003998 s
authdelay:            0.000000 s

My ntp.conf file is:
-----------
#system ntp configuration file
server clock.redhat.com iburst

# Drift file
driftfile /var/etc/ntp/drift

# Keys file.
keys /var/etc/ntp/keys

Any insight into this situation will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Anurag