[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdc 'sysinfo' output inconsistent with ntpq -p output

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 22 15:58:11 UTC 2006

Tripathi, Anurag wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running ntpd version 4.2 on my linux M/C, I'm synching my m/c to a
> well known timer server 'clock.redhat.com' (without any authentication
> configured).
> After a while when I query the system with ntpq it shows synchronized,
> while the ntpdc 'sysinfo' output still shows the system on stratum '16'
> and system unsynched.
>
> Isn't this contradictory?
>
> What can I do to get the sysinfo output show the correct info?
>
> Ntpq / ntpdc outputs are given below:
>
> Linux#ntpq -p
> remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset
> jitter
> ====
> *clock1.redhat.c .CDMA.     1  u   54   64    3  292.993    0.468
> 76.733
>
> Linux#ntpdc> sysinfo
> system peer:          clock1.redhat.com
> system peer mode:     client
> leap indicator:       11
> stratum:              16
> precision:            -20
> root distance:        0.00000 s
> root dispersion:      0.00433 s
> reference ID:         [73.78.73.84]
> reference time:       00000000.00000000  Thu, Feb  7 2036 11:58:16.000
> system flags:         auth monitor ntp kernel stats
> jitter:               0.083237 s
> stability:            0.000 ppm
> broadcastdelay:       0.003998 s
> authdelay:            0.000000 s
>
> My ntp.conf file is:
> -----------
> #system ntp configuration file
> server clock.redhat.com iburst
>
> # Drift file
> driftfile /var/etc/ntp/drift
>
> # Keys file.
> keys /var/etc/ntp/keys
> -----------
>
> Any insight into this situation will be very helpful.

First, you appear to have been running ntpd for only a minute or two.
You have received only two packets from your server (reach field = 3)!
You need to wait a few minutes after starting ntpd before you can get
very much useful data from ntpq or ntpdc.  When the reach field shows
377 that will tell us that your server has responded to the last eight
requests.

Show us the output of ntpq and ntpdc after ntpd has been running for
thirty to sixty minutes.  You might also show us the output of
ntpq -c version
so that we will know what version of ntpd you are running.