[ntp:questions] Re: ntpdc 'sysinfo' output inconsistent with ntpq -p output

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Mon Jul 24 11:57:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:33:57 +0000, Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.isc.org> wrote:

> He's using iburst, so he probably got sync'd during the initial exchange.
>
> I do not understand the discrepancy between the ntpq output and the ntpdc
> sysinfo output, but I really haven't thought about it all that much.

I think what happens is that iburst allows ntpd quickly to sync to
a source, but as noticed it doesn't remember the responses in the
reach status, and doesn't declare itself synced to its clients until
it has received the usual normal responses later.

I think "ntpq -crv" would show similar info to ntpdc sysinfo in this
state.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for