[ntp:questions] Re: Slew mode check for XNTP

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 26 06:35:37 UTC 2006

In article <a8e7dcda0607241914i135c4770gf8666d88e16a91c1 at mail.gmail.com>,
sasi05 at gmail.com (Sasikumar Jayaraman) wrote:

>       I have using Windows 2000 box which has ntp.conf file for xntp

xntpd is obsolete.

> configuration. I would like to confirm that "slewalways yes" is working as
> configured in the ntp.conf file. Could you help me out to verify this?

There is no such option in ntpd version 4.2.0.   I'm fairly sure that
it isn't in any later version.  The NTP developers generally consider
the use of this feature (from the command line "-x") as undesirable.
I don't believe it existed in version 3 either, but I don't have such
old source close to hand.

As far as I know, even the general syntax KEYWORD yes is not used for
any option.

> What is the best way to confirm that slewalways is configured and working
> fine.

Firstly, identify the exact version of the software.  There are also
Windows ports of the Unix strings utility, that you can use to see if
the string slewalways appears anywhere in the binary.