[ntp:questions] Re: Slew mode check for XNTP

Sasikumar Jayaraman sasi05 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 12:49:52 UTC 2006

 Thanks much for the info David.

Here is my comments.

I am running XNTP version 4.2.0 as per ntpdc -c version output.
C:\>ntpdc -c version
ntpdc 4.2.0 fr Oct 17 8:50:07 2003 (1)

To confirm that slew mode is not supported in NT, I did the following check.

I changed the system clock ahead of 5 minutes and stoped the NTP Servcie.

Then executed the following commant.

*ntpdate -B ntp01-ams    (This would slew the clock instead of default step
option)*

I got the clear message saying -b option is required for Windows NT version
of ntpdate.

C:\>ntpdate -B ntp01-ams
Looking for host ntp01-ams and service ntp
host found : ntp01-ams.lab.net

The -b option is required by ntpdate on Windows NT platforms

C:\>

Also I tried changing the registry setting to include  -x and -g option.
After to that I changed the system timing and started the ntp service. What
I saw is withing 10 minutes system clock is changed to ntp server clock in
one shot. This is not how slew mode would operate?. Slew mode would take
many hrs to correct simple 3 minutes change. Am I correct?

Can I conclude that slew mode operation is not available for Windows version
of  XNTP?

Thanks,

Sasi.